Monday, September 7, 2009

Shall we?

If there's one thing I wish at least once every day, it's that I could go back in time and live in the 1940's. I can't imagine a more wonderful era! Everything about it seemed good — except for the war. However, I feel that much of the goodness of the era was brought about by World War II. There was this sense of unity among people, everyone pulling together to pull through it. The war effected everything, right down to women's hair styles! Life was horribly tough and depressing, but people kept going and learned to "accentuate the positive".

Perhaps the greatest escape from life at that time was the movies. Movies were being made and released constantly! Movies to brighten your mood, to make you laugh, to give you characters to sympathize with, to introduce you to the next great swing band, and movies to motivate you to do whatever you could to help with the war effort. Movies stars were glamorous. They were untouchable. (I guarantee that you would have never seen Lana Turner walking down Sunset Boulevard in a sweatsuit, looking like she just rolled out of bed.) When you went to nightclubs, you danced. And I mean DANCED! This dancing did not involve grinding. It involved swinging and triple-stepping and lindy hopping until you couldn't feel your feet. Give swing dancing a try sometime. If your not athletic, exhaustion will probably hit you before the second chorus.

By now you probably get the idea of this blog. It's a place to reminisce about a great era. I'll be musing from time to time, as well as posting whatever interesting articles, photos, or websites I come across. But don't be surprised if some non-1940's posts sneak there way in here. ;)

The gal in the profile picture isn't me (although I wish it were!). I just don't have a picture of me handy right now.

Until next time,
Miss 1941

1 comment:

  1. this is great! i enjoyed everything on it! i'll be back!

    gac

    ReplyDelete