Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Questions for my Grandma



Recently I've started sending my Grandma several questions when I write her letters. She's a wonderful Grandma, who humors me by answering all of them! :)

 I thought I would share ones that pertain to WWII and the 1940's with you.


1. Where were you when you found out that WWII had started?
I was working as a nanny in Illinois. It must have been my weekend off as I was in a little church on a Sunday night. I was told about Pearl Harbor.

2. How old were you when the war started?
I was twenty years old.

3. Did you set your hair with pink curls, rag curls, or rollers?
Pin curls and rollers.

4. Did you or any of your sisters work in factories for the war effort?
Yes. My sister and I worked at a glove factory, but we did not make gloves. We sewed the lining inside helmets. When the war ended the factory went back to making gloves.

5. When things were rationed during the war, what did you miss the most?
I think the rationing of sugar was felt most by house holds.

6. What is your best piece of advice?
Be a good listener.


Number 6 doesn't have anything to do with the War, but I thought it was good. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I adore this! Oh please post more! My grandparents are gone and its so hard to find anyone in that generation who will share about that time! I love it! What a doll she is! Your grandma rocks!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! I love interviewing my relatives, too. It's fun to see what kind of shenanigans they got into!

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunny: I'm having a hard time thinking of more questions for her! Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete